Norwegian police said on Monday (18) that the five killed in the attack last Wednesday (13) were stabbed, not arrowed.
According to investigators, the assailant even used a bow and arrow, with which he shot more than 12 people. But he was already without that weapon when he killed four women and a man, aged between 52 and 78, in Kongsberg, a city of 25,000 people about 75 kilometers west of Oslo.
“Everything indicates that these victims were killed at random,” said police inspector Per Thomas Omholt, in an interview broadcast by European broadcaster Euronews. Some were killed inside their homes and others on the street; three other people were seriously injured.
Two bladed weapons, not detailed by the police, were found.
The suspect, Espen Andersen Brathen, 37, has been described as mentally ill and is being held in a psychiatric hospital.
A Dane and a resident of Kongsberg, Brathen converted to the Islamic faith and had already been investigated for signs of radicalization, which raised suspicions that the attack was a terrorist attack.
According to the inspector, however, “the disease seems to be the most likely hypothesis in terms of the reason for the action”.
Last week’s attack left the highest death toll in the country since 2011, when a right-wing extremist killed 77 people in a teenage camp.